Snug Scotland Terms & Conditions/ Campervan Rental Agreement
The customer always comes first when you hire with us. To ensure you know exactly what to expect during your booking and hire please read our Terms and Conditions below.
- Minimum Hire
Minimum hire of Campervan is 3 nights and you can hire our campervans for up to 30 days at a time.
During June, July and August, there is a minimum hire of 7 nights unless otherwise agreed with Snug Scotland Ltd.
Snug Scotland Ltd Campers authorises the use of this vehicle for up to 4 passengers including the Driver. Each person to use the safety restraints provided at all times whilst vehicle is in motion.
- Drivers must be between 23 and 75 years old with 24 months of driving experience and hold a full UK/EU driving licence.
- A refundable security deposit of £750 to cover Campervan Insurance Excess applies to all our Motorhome and Campervan hires with UK / EU Drivers licenses.
- Non UK/EU licenses require to be referred to our insurers who will notify us of any additional conditions.
- Two, 3 point convictions are acceptable (i.e. 2x Sp30’s, 3pts each) without referral. Any single conviction totalling 6 points+ will require referral to our insurers.
- There is an additional excess of £200 for drivers age 23 to 25
- More than one fault or outstanding accident/claim/incident in the last 3 years will require referral to our insurers.
What must you provide to us, prior to the hire commencement?
- Copy of the photo card drivers’ licence (Address & ID must be up to date)
2. Online licence check – https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number
3. Two forms of proof of address for main driver (Must meet all mentioned criteria below)
4. Cleared a traceable security deposit (BACS, Credit/Debit Card, PayPal.)
5. Signed rental agreement featuring all drivers wishing to drive the vehicle
The following documentation is acceptable for proof of address alongside the drivers licence
You must provide the following: –
• 1 utility bill / statement (primary form of proof)
• 1 of the documents listed below (secondary proof)
Key document criteria: –
• Both must be dated within 90 days of the hire date
• The address & name on your licence must match both documents
What is acceptable:-
• Utilities are as follows: Electricity, Water, Gas, Broadband, Council tax or Landline
1 of the following alongside a utility:-
• TV/internet/landline telephone bill (Including Sky/Virgin/BT etc.)
• Bank or Credit Statement
• Credit card bill / statement
• Mortgage/pension statement
HMRC & DWP documentation is acceptable in addition to one valid utility bill/utility statement
- Mobile Phone Bills (subject to being under the age of 25. Will require referral)
What is declined:-
• Any document relating to insurance.
• Any document that does not meet the above mentioned criteria – please contact us if you are unsure.
- Additional Drivers must provide Photo ID license prior to hire. If the Driver does not have a Photo License ID, the paper license and a passport is required.
- Details of any additional drivers are required in advance of rental period.
- Drivers are personally liable for all legal penalties (e.g.: parking tickets) which are incurred during the period of hire.
- Maximum of 4 drivers per rental
- All drivers must be present at Booking Hire Start Day
- Campervan Hire Rates quoted include:
- Unlimited miles
- UK standard vehicle insurance*
- UK standard equipment & breakdown
- Unlimited gas
* Insurance loading. In some cases, if our insurers deem a driver to represent a higher than average risk, Snug Scotland Ltd will incur additional charges or increased insurance excess, which we have to pass on to the hirer.
- Payment of your Campervan Rental
- Availability is on a request and confirm basis at the time of reservation.
- A reservation is only binding after it has been confirmed by Snug Scotland Ltd and a deposit of 50% of the Total Booking Hire Fee has been received (or deposit as agreed in writing by Snug Scotland Ltd). Our terms and conditions including cancellation policy will apply from this point onwards. Once the reservation is confirmed, a confirmation email will be sent out to you, the customer.
- Settlement of the remaining balance will be due 2 weeks (14 days) before your Booking Rental Start date for hires taken in 2021 and six weeks (42 days) prior to Booking Rental Start date for hires taken from 1st January 2022
- A refundable security deposit will be held on your preferred payment card 4 days prior to the start of your rental period to cover Insurance Excess and any damages or road traffic fines incurred. Please note that some card payment holders do not facilitate holds on cards and therefore your deposit may be charged to your card by their request. Please ensure you check with your card holder. The security deposit will be released/refunded 7 days after the end of your hire less any incurred costs for damages and fines.
- I irrevocably authorise Snug Scotland Ltd to deduct from the security deposit any amounts due by me to Snug Scotland Ltd arising out of this agreement. The security deposit will be released/refunded directly to my payment card 7 days after the return of the Campervan provided the vehicle being returned to the correct location, undamaged, with a clean interior and with a full fuel tank.
- I acknowledge that there will be a 24-hour cooling off period on return of the vehicle allowing the owner (Snug Scotland Ltd) to make a thorough inspection inside and out having washed and removed all dirt and debris to allow for such inspection. Any damages found within this 24-hour period will be notified to the hirer by photo and email and deducted from the Security Deposit accordingly.
- We reserve the right to charge a £150 deep cleaning fee if evidence is found of unauthorised pet or pets.
- We reserve the right to retain a £75.00 soiling fee if the Campervan is not returned with the interior in a clean condition.
- We reserve the right to retain a £20 fee if the Grey waste- water tank is not emptied.
- We reserve the right to retain a £50 fee if the Black Waste water tank is not emptied and cleaned properly prior to the return of the vehicle.
- Pick up and return times will be agreed prior to rental in writing and signed for on your Vehicle Check Sheet prior to departure with the following late charges applied for late returns:
- Up to 30 minutes late: £25
- 30 to 60 minutes late: £50
- Over 60 minutes late: £100
- Campervan Hire Extras
- National Airport/Train Station transfer (up to 4 people) Glasgow Airport / Glasgow £50 each way; Edinburgh/ Edinburgh Airport: £100 each way; Stirling railway: £50 each way. Other destinations -price on request
- Local Train/Bus Station transfer from Milngavie (up to 4 people) free of charge
- Bike Rack – £25 per hire
- Dog Cleaning – £25 per hire – maximum 2 dogs per hire restricted to specific ‘pet friendly’ vehicles
- Mattress Topper – £25 per hire
- Child Car Seat – £20 per hire
- Free Camping Gas is included in the price of hire with cost of replacement of camping gas cylinders refunded if you need to re-fill it whilst on hire subject to you providing your receipt to Snug Scotland Ltd. We include a full spare camping gas bottle at the start of every hire.
- Concierge Service – Planning and Booking of Campsites and Ferries – Contact us for a quote
- Cancellation Charges
Our Flexible Travel and Cancellation policy and charges due to COVID-19 will remain in place until the end of 2021. Our standard travel and cancellation policy will apply to holidays taken from 1st January 2022.
Flexible COVID-19 Travel Policy – Cancellation Charges for Campervan Holidays taken in 2021
Customers may make changes to their holiday reservation up to 2 weeks before hire by:
- Changing their dates to later in 2021
- Taking a credit note for their deposit to spend by end December 2022
- Receive a full refund
For bookings less than 2 weeks (14 nights) prior to rental start date customers may:
- Take a credit note for their deposit and balance to spend by end December 2022 if travel restrictions are brought into place in their area prohibiting them from travel within that two weeks prior to their rental start date (Please note this condition applies to UK residents only)
- Forfeit 100% of the total hire charge if cancelled less than 2 weeks before rental start date unless travel restrictions have been brought into place in their area within that 2 weeks prohibiting them from travel
Standard Travel Policy – Cancellation Charges for hires booked and/or taken from 1st January 2022
Customers wishing to cancel their reservation will:
- Receive a full refund of their deposit if cancelled more than 6 weeks (42 days) prior to rental start date, less a £50 administration fee
- Receive 50% of the total hire charge if cancelled between 6 and 4 weeks prior to rental start date, less a £50 administration fee
- Forfeit 100% of the total hire charge if cancelled less than 4 weeks before rental start date
- Rental and other charges
I will pay Snug Scotland Ltd:
- all rental charges
- the security deposit.
- the nominated cancellation fee in the event of cancellation of this agreement prior to acceptance of delivery of the vehicle
- the cost of any damage to the vehicle or the property of any third party, subject to the insurance*
- all government fees and duties etc
- all parking fines, other fines or penalties, and/or accidents including third party property damage not reported on return of the vehicle; and associated administration costs incurred in relation to the vehicle during the rental period
- any other fees or charges payable by me pursuant to this agreement.
- the daily rental rate for the period the vehicle is off fleet for accident repairs
- the cost to recover a vehicle which has become bogged.
*This cost is up to the insurance excess amount provided all Terms and Conditions are adhered to. If the insurance deems the insurance to be invalid due to inappropriate use of the vehicle and there has been a breach by the hirer of the terms of this agreement, then the hirer will be liable for all costs.
- Payment of charges joint and several liability
All charges and expenses payable by me under this agreement are due on demand by Snug Scotland Ltd. If I do not pay all charges when due, I agree to pay a late charge of 1.5% per month on the outstanding balance and any collection costs incurred by Snug Scotland Ltd, including reasonable legal fees. When the customer comprises of more than one person, each person is liable jointly and severally for all obligations of the customer pursuant to this agreement.
- Campervan Collection and return
Collection: Please allow up to 1 hour for the hand-over of the Campervan to complete documentation and demonstration of our vehicle to you.
Return: Please allow up to half an hour on the return of your vehicle to hand over and undertake a preliminary check the condition of the vehicle. The vehicle must be returned with a full tank of fuel and returned in the same condition that it was rented to you. The vehicle must be returned on the date stated on the rental agreement and before the stated return time agreed on your Vehicle Check Sheet or confirmed in writing by email from Snug Scotland Ltd. The hirer must advise Snug Scotland Ltd if they are delayed for any reason and additional charges may be charged.
I acknowledge that having received the vehicle in a clean condition and in sound working order in accordance with the departure checklist and with a full fuel tank:
- I will return the vehicle in a clean condition with a full fuel tank, on the return date and time set out under the heading ‘Rtn time’ in the Vehicle Check Sheet.
- I acknowledge that Snug Scotland Ltd will not refund to me any monies, nor have any obligation to provide a replacement vehicle, if the vehicle is returned or I cease to have the use of the vehicle prior to the return date for any reason e.g. accident, weather or theft
- Title to vehicle
I acknowledge that Snug Scotland Ltd retains title to the vehicle and that I possess the goods as a mere bailee only. I do not have any right to pledge Snug Scotland Ltd credit in connection with the vehicle and agree not to do so. I shall not agree, attempt, offer or purport to sell, assign, sublet, lend, pledge, mortgage, let on hire, or otherwise part with or attempt to part with the personal possession of or otherwise deal with the vehicle.
- Use of the vehicle
I agree that during the rental period, I will not and will not allow the vehicle to be:
- Driven otherwise than in a cautious, prudent and normal manner;
- Used in a manner which could cause damage;
- Driven in a prohibited area or in an area other than the areas indicated by me to Snug Scotland Ltd;
- Driven by a person under the influence of alcohol or drugs or with a blood alcohol level in excess of that permitted by law;
- Left with the ignition key in the vehicle while it is unoccupied
- Driven by persons:
- Under the age of 23 years; or who is not authorised by law to drive the vehicle. Particulars of a proposed licensed driver of the vehicle are set out under the heading ‘driver details’ in the motor rental agreement.
- Damaged by:
- Submersion in water
- Contact with salt water
- Used for any illegal purpose for any race, rally or contest
- Used to tow any vehicle or trailer.
- Used to carry passengers or property for hire or reward
- Used to carry more persons than is permitted by any relevant authority or detailed in the vehicle manual or on the vehicle or specified in this agreement
- Used to carry volatile liquids, gases, explosives or other corrosive or inflammable material
- Otherwise used in breach of my obligations under this agreement.
- Alterations to the vehicle
I shall not make any alterations or additions to the vehicle without the prior written consent of Snug Scotland Ltd.
I shall take all reasonable steps to properly maintain the vehicle, including oil checks, water and batteries.
I acknowledge that Snug Scotland Ltd will reimburse me for expenditure up to UK £50.00 reasonably incurred in rectifying any mechanical failure to the drivetrain and engine of the vehicle (not including the water system, refrigerator, heating, audio equipment) provided that:
- I produce relevant receipts
- I have received the prior consent of Snug Scotland Ltd
- The damage is not due to my fault or my breach of this agreement.
Subject to the terms of this agreement, I will pay for the cost of repairing or replacing tyres* damaged during the rental period and agree to:
- Contact Snug Scotland Ltd to notify them of damage to tyre immediately
- Await confirmation from Snug Scotland Ltd re replacement of tyre or tyre repair and location of repair
- Replacement of tyre to be the same tyre brand and quality or like for like if the brand is not available
- Pay the full costs of repair or replacement directly to the garage or be liable for all costs of replacement
I will be liable for any costs associated with the incorrect use of fuel (fuel being diesel or petrol.)
- Responsibility when accident occurs
In the event of any accident, loss or damage arising out of the use of the vehicle:
- I will notify Snug Scotland Ltd immediately of the happening of the event. I will call them but if contact cannot be made then I will email them to notify them of damages and await for a response before leaving the place of the accident
- I will obtain the names and addresses of third parties and any witnesses and report the event to the nearest police station
- I will not make any admission of liability to other parties; settlement offer or other like offer
- I will assist Snug Scotland Ltd in handling any claim arising from any event, including providing all relevant information and attending court to give evidence
- I acknowledge that the excess or other amount due by me in respect of any damage arising from an accident, loss or damage is payable at the time of reporting the event and not at the completion of the rental period.
- I will pay for any costs relating to the delivery of a change over vehicle as a result of an accident regardless of which party is at fault. The cost of change over is dependent on the mileage from Snug Scotland Ltd and time taken to deliver replacement vehicle and is at the discretion of Snug Scotland Ltd.
- I agree that the vehicle is insured for fully comprehensive insurance for damage to the vehicle and the property and medical costs of a third party less the excess set by the insurers. (Please note that our insurance does not cover medical cover for our hirers; it only covers damages to our vehicle, Travel Insurance covering Motorhome Rental holidays is widely available.)
- I will have to pay an excess for any damage. The insurance excess is £750 as agreed and paid through our security deposit (or another amount requested and agreed by Snug Scotland Ltd insurers for customers
- I will have to pay an excess for any damage. The insurance excess is £750 as agreed and paid through our security deposit (or another amount requested and agreed by Snug Scotland Ltd for customers deemed a higher than average risk by our insurers.
- The security deposit is paid to cover the insurance excess and will be set against the cost for any damage to the vehicle. Our customers are liable up to the value of the security deposit paid for the insurances excess.
- Please note that Snug Scotland vehicles may be fitted with dashcams and/or tracking systems. Images and data may be provided by Snug Scotland to their insurance during investigation of any claim or incident.
- Please note that resolution of damage issues is time consuming to resolve and we reserve the right to charge an administration fee in addition to the repair cost.
- I will not have any insurance cover and I will be responsible for the total cost of any damage if I am in breach of any of the terms of this agreement
- An excess is applied for windscreen damage according to our insurer’s terms and will be taken off the hirer’s security deposit:
- £35 for chip to a windscreen
- £180 being applied for full replacement of the windscreen
- The customer will be responsible for damages to tyres and the cost of repair or replacement will come off the security deposit.
- Release and indemnity of Snug Scotland Ltd
The sole subject of the contract with the rental company is hiring out of the vehicle. The Rental Company is under no obligation to provide travel services, and in particular no package of travel services.
Subject to its obligation to deliver the vehicle, I release Snug Scotland Ltd, its employees and agents, from any liability to me (regardless of who is at fault) for any loss or damage incurred by me by reason of this agreement, including but not limited to:
- Any loss or damage caused by breakdown, mechanical defect, accident or the vehicle being unsuitable for my purpose
- Any loss or damage to any property left in or on the vehicle, in any service vehicle or on any Snug Scotland Ltd premises or recovered or handled by Snug Scotland Ltd.
- Subject to any insurance arrangements agreed with Snug Scotland Ltd, I hereby indemnify and shall keep indemnified Snug Scotland Ltd, its employees and agents against any claims, demands and expenses (including legal costs) incurred or sustained by them or any of them by reason of my use and/or possession of the vehicle.
- Instances beyond Snug Scotland Ltd control that means they cannot release the vehicle to me due to a prior accident or fault with the vehicle. In this instance, Snug Scotland Ltd will endeavor to find a replacement vehicle or give a full refund of the price of hire to the customer.
- Road restrictions
- All vehicles may only be driven on sealed / bitumen roads.
- I acknowledge that Snug Scotland Ltd reserves the right at any time, at its sole discretion, to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions or any other reasonable cause.
- I will not allow any animals to be in the vehicle without the prior consent of Snug Scotland Ltd.
- Definitions of terms and conditions
- Definitions of terms and conditions ‘i’,’me’ and ‘my’ refers jointly and severally to the person or persons who are the customers; ‘this agreement’ means the rental agreement, the insurance motor rental agreement and these terms and conditions. In the event of any discrepancy between these terms and conditions and any other Snug Scotland Ltd literature, the provisions of these terms and conditions apply.
- Snug Scotland Ltd – means Snug Scotland Ltd, trading as Snug Scotland Motorhomes and Campers, 2 Craigenlay Avenue, Blanefield, Glasgow. G63 9DR
- ‘customer’ -Means the person or persons nominated as the hirer under the heading ‘hire details’ on the insurance motor rental agreement and any person making payment of the customer’s charges.
- ‘living equipment’ – Includes but is not limited to tv/dvd player, cd player, crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils.
- ‘Over head damage’ – All drivers must be aware of the (unusual) height of the motorhome and are responsible for all damage if driven under an obstruction that is too low for it to clear – the obvious examples are low bridges and height restrictions into car parks, drive thru take away food outlets etc. In this event neither the basic insurance nor collision damage waiver will apply and the hirer will be responsible for the repair of all damages. Overhead damage is deemed as any damage to any part of the vehicle which occurs above 6 feet (1.83 metres) and or any third party property.
- The hire rate quoted includes a standard excess of £750 or other amount as agreed by our insurers. In the event of any damage to either the vehicle or third party property, the hirer will be liable up to the full amount of the security deposit paid. The hirer will also be fully liable for all overhead damage, any damaged deemed as gross negligence and replacement or repair of windows and windscreens or tyre damage.
- ‘rental period’ – Means the hire period referred to under the heading ‘booking details’ on the rental agreement or any agreed variation thereof and any additional period during which the vehicle is in the customer’s possession or control
- ‘vehicle’ – Means the vehicle described under the heading ‘vehicle details’ on the rental agreement and includes tyres, tools, accessories, the living equipment and any other special equipment, documents related to the vehicle and any replacement or substitute vehicle which may be provided at the discretion of Snug Scotland Ltd.
- ‘security deposit’ – Means the vehicle security deposit detailed under the heading ‘vehicle security deposit’ in the insurance motor rental agreement. The hire rate quoted includes a standard excess of £750 or other amount as agreed by our insurers.
- Terminating the agreement
I acknowledge that Snug Scotland Ltd may terminate this agreement and repossess the vehicle at any time, without notification to me, and that I will pay the reasonable costs of repossessing the vehicle, including towing charges if;
- I am in breach of any term of this agreement;
- I have obtained the vehicle through fraud or misrepresentation;
- The vehicle appears to be abandoned
- The vehicle is not returned on the agreed return date or Snug Scotland Ltd reasonably believes that the vehicle will not be returned on the agreed return date;
- Snug Scotland Ltd considers on reasonable grounds, that the safety of passengers or the condition of the vehicle is endangered. I understand that in the event of such termination or repossession, I have no right to a refund of any part of the rental charges or the security deposit
Any changes to this agreement must be in writing and must be signed on behalf of Snug Scotland Ltd and by me.
- Proper law
This agreement shall be governed by the law of Scotland in which this agreement was signed.
- My warranties
I warrant that all information supplied by me to Snug Scotland Ltd in connection with this agreement is true.
- Entire agreement
This agreement constitutes the entire agreement of the parties and there are no other oral undertakings, warranties or agreements between the parties relating to the subject matter of this agreement. Snug Scotland Ltd reserves the right to add or amend any rental charges without prior notice.